The Campaign Office of Mohammed Barde, People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Candidate for the 2023 governorship election in Gombe State, is currently on fire.
The office close to the Presidential Lodge of Gombe Government House was reportedly set ablaze by political thugs in the early hours of Monday.
Details of the attack were sketchy as of the time of filing this report, but the PDP has blamed it on the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
“There was an attack on the building housing the Barde Campaign Organisation in the early hours of today by political thugs, suspected to be that of the sinking APC, setting ablaze the building and destroying properties.”
The cowardly attack on this edifice, one of many in the last months, further affirmed the present government’s stand on violence and destruction, a threat to the fragile peace of the state, which must vehemently be rejected by all and sundry.
“The PDP Governorship candidate, Alh Muhammad Jibrin Barde has on different occasions rejected violence and political thuggery, stressing the need to engage the resourceful Gombe youth in a meaningful pursuit.
“The Good people of Gombe State are hereby prompted to reject this act of oppression on the ballot comes 2023. The Barde Agenda rests on securing the lives and properties of the people, equal opportunities for the youth and women, rapid infrastructural development, and providing a level playing ground for the opposition devoid of any undue oppression,” he said.
The Public Relations Officer of the police command in Gombe, ASP Mahid Mu’azu Abubakar, confirmed the incident and said an investigation had been launched and moves were being made to arrest the perpetrators.
Despite the Peace Accord signed by politicians, there has been an increase in violence in the buildup to the 2023 elections.