The Institute for Tourism Professionals of Nigeria is a Higher, vocational, and tertiary level professional organization, established to furnish the industry with professional personnel who can provide a good quality standard of products and services. The objects of the Institute are:-
- To provide education and membership structure aimed at guaranteeing excellent standards of service within Tourism and related Industries.
- To promote professional ethics and efficiency in tourism administration and practice.
- To provide accreditation, education, and certification in all branches of Tourism, thought, philosophy or endeavour and provide for the giving and holding of lectures, scholarships, exhibitions, meetings, and classes for the promotion and advancement of vocational and academic education and research studies.
- To provide Continuous Professional Development, Commercial and Industrial training for Employment, whether general, technical or professional.
- To provide for the examination assessment and certification of individuals receiving instruction through organisation either by its own examiners or by outside boards of examiners or public or educational bodies, validating, accreditation, assessing, professional and learned bodies.
The Institute is a Professional Awarding body for the Airline, Airport, Hotel, Hospitality, Food Safety, Travel Tourism, and Allied Occupations.
Furthermore, the Institute is a certification body for personnel involved in grading, classification, and quality assurance certification programmes for Hotel, Tourism and Hospitality Establishments, and an awarding body, Operating Food Safety and Food Protection Certification Programmes.