All military personnel attached to the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in the Danko/Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State—where 26 schoolgirls were abducted—are currently facing interrogation at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja, Saturday PUNCH has learnt.
A credible senior government official told one of our correspondents that the DHQ had begun investigating the sudden withdrawal of military personnel from the school shortly before the abduction.
Terrorists stormed the school on November 17, killing the Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, before whisking away the 26 students.
However, two of the students later escaped from their captors, leaving 24 still in captivity.
Calls for probe
The abduction sparked outrage, prompting the state Governor, Nasir Idris, to call for a probe into the sudden withdrawal of the military personnel from the school.
Speaking after a closed-door meeting with the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, the governor revealed that the state government had earlier received intelligence reports suggesting that the school was likely to be targeted by terrorists.
He said security operatives were deployed in response to the intelligence, questioning why they were withdrawn shortly before the attack.
“We need to know why they left. We had intelligence; we provided security, so what happened?” the governor asked during the meeting.
The District Head of Maga, Muhammad Dantani, also stated that the military personnel withdrew from the school premises around 1am.
He said, “Around midnight, I called to confirm whether the soldiers were still at their post and was told they were. But unknown to us, they left the school around 1am, just shortly before the attack began. We still don’t know who gave the order or why they withdrew.
“When the bandits arrived, the police officers said they took cover because the attackers were far too numerous and opening fire would have meant certain death. The number of bandits and their level of firepower were overwhelming.
“With the army absent, the police felt engaging the bandits would be suicidal. While we understand their safety concerns, the lack of resistance allowed the bandits to operate from around 1.30am until 3.30am without opposition.”
The schoolchildren, however, regained their freedom on Tuesday after the Federal Government negotiated their release.
The Kebbi State Government said medical examinations confirmed that the girls were not sexually abused while in captivity.
Personnel summoned to Abuja
Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, the senior government official said Kebbi was awaiting the outcome of military investigation into who ordered the personnel to leave the school premises before the attack.
“The military personnel who were stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation. They were summoned by the Defence Headquarters on Monday. We are following the case,” he said.
The official noted that the troops were from the Army Barracks in Zuru.
A credible security source, who has consistently provided accurate information to Saturday PUNCH, also confirmed that the personnel had been summoned to the Defence Headquarters.
“I don’t have all the details, but I learnt on Monday from colleagues in the army that the soldiers have reported to the headquarters. All the security heads are happy with what happened in Kebbi and Niger. Neither the soldiers nor the police didn’t do well. But the investigation is ongoing,” he said.
A top military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to comment, said the investigation was ongoing.
“The military hierarchy is investigating the matter, and everyone attached to the school will be asked one or two questions to determine what went wrong. Anyone found culpable will definitely be brought to book,” he said.
Another military source added, “It’s not unlikely that the troops have been summoned in connection with the incident, but the matter is still under probe.”
Efforts to obtain comments from the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, were unsuccessful, as his phone was unreachable as of the time of filing this report.
When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to the Kebbi State Governor, Ahmed Idris, said he could not confirm the summon.
He said, “The investigation is being handled by the Defence Headquarters, so we don’t know anything about it. However, we want to know the outcome, and we expect the military to take necessary action.”
How the schoolgirls were released
Saturday PUNCH gathered that the military attempted to rescue the girls, but the operation failed, which necessitated negotiations with the terrorists.
A top source said, “The girls were released at the border between Gusau (Zamfara State) and Kebbi State. They were kept in a forest, from where security personnel brought them back to Kebbi.
“The security operatives had located the forest where the girls were being held. They mounted surveillance and deployed heavy personnel and a helicopter, making it impossible for the bandits to move.
“The security agencies used tactics to get them out of captivity. They engaged the bandits in communication and other professional methods. They were able to convince the bandits to release the girls.”
When asked if “communication” meant negotiation, the source responded, “Yes, there was negotiation. Initially, there was an exchange of gunfire between the security personnel and the bandits, but the military later changed tactics, and the schoolgirls were released unhurt. We’re lucky to have them all back.”
Saturday PUNCH also sighted a viral video in which a bandit leader standing among the girls claimed they were released following negotiations.
He told the girls, “You have seen how the government failed to rescue you. Your release was secured through peaceful negotiations. Our leaders were contacted, and that is how you gained your freedom.”
Attacks won’t stop children from going to school — Victims’ parents
Meanwhile, parents of the rescued schoolgirls have vowed to send their children back to school despite the incident.
Speaking with one of our correspondents, the parents said their commitment to Western education remained firm despite the trauma their families endured.
A parent, Mallam Ibrahim Naibi, said the attack strengthened his resolve to ensure all his children remained in school.
“My children will go to school. It is a promise I made to them, and by God’s will, I will keep it,” he said.
Another parent, Abubakar Jibrin, said residents of Maga would not be deterred by fear, stressing that educating their children, especially girls, remained a priority.
“In this community, we are determined to ensure our children get proper education before talking of marriage. We won’t be discouraged in any way. By God’s grace, this issue of kidnapping will not happen again,” he said.
For Alhaji Sani Jimri, education remains the community’s path to a better future.
“If we educate our children, our tomorrow is secured. We are fully ready to give them the support they need to get proper education,” he stated.
Another father, who identified himself only as Mallam Abubakar, recalled that while his son was in captivity, the family received no communication from the abductors.
“We didn’t hear their voices. We didn’t know if they had eaten or if they were sick. The silence was torture,” he said.
Stay ahead with the latest updates!
Join The Podium Media on WhatsApp for real-time news alerts, breaking stories, and exclusive content delivered straight to your phone. Don’t miss a headline — subscribe now!
Chat with Us on WhatsApp




