The house of representatives has issued an apology to protesters who were exposed to teargas during a demonstration at the national assembly complex earlier this week.
Speaking during a press conference in Abuja on Thursday, Akin Rotimi, spokesperson of the house, described the incident as a “regrettable occurence” and pledged a review of the circumstances.
“I extend my sympathy to all those affected by the tear gas incident at the National Assembly,” Rotimi said.

“This matter is being addressed by the House’s media and public affairs team. It should not have occurred.”
He emphasised the constitutional right to peaceful protest but warned against potential infiltration by troublemakers.
“Protesters at the National Assembly are protected by the Constitution, and we are investigating what led to this. However, we urge vigilance against elements that could incite disorder,” Rotimi added.
Defending the legislative process behind the Electoral Act, Rotimi said the civil society was “fully involved” and that all constitutional and procedural requirements were met.
“Many in civil society may disagree with the outcomes, but the engagement process was thorough,” he said.
Rotimi described elections as a key democratic ritual and suggested future amendments could address ongoing concerns.
“We acted in Nigerians’ best interests. While the law may be imperfect, it aims to deliver free and fair elections. We call on civil society and the public to collaborate in its implementation,” he said.
Stay ahead with the latest updates!
Join The Podium Media on WhatsApp for real-time news alerts, breaking stories, and exclusive content delivered straight to your phone. Don’t miss a headline — subscribe now!
Chat with Us on WhatsApp


