A police vehicle is seen at the entrance of Medina hospital in Mogadishu, Somalia, on June 15, 2021 after a suicide bomber attacked a military training camp. Photo: AFP
A suicide bomber killed 15 army recruits and wounded 20 more as they queued outside a military training camp in Mogadishu on Tuesday, military and hospital sources said.
The attack is the deadliest in the Somali capital in 18 months.
The explosion happened at around 0900 (0600 GMT) according to eyewitness Mohamed Adan, an army officer at the base.
“I have counted about 15 new recruits who have been killed in the blast,” he said.
Adan said the bomber had slipped in among the recruits queueing up outside the General Dhegobadan Military Camp when the explosion occurred.
Speaking on national radio, army chief Odowa Yusuf Rage, said, “The new recruits were in a queue outside the entrance of the Dhegobadan military camp preparing to enter the base before the suicide bomber sneaked into the line and blew up himself.”
Rage claimed, “10 young men who wanted to join the national armed forces were killed and 20 others wounded.”
However, sources at the main Madina hospital and the morgue confirmed to AFP that 15 had been killed.
“We have received 15 dead bodies from today’s blast, some of them had serious shrapnel wounds and all of them were young men approximately between twenty to twenty-seven years of age,” said a mortuary employee.
Grieving mother, Maryama Hussein, said, “I lost one son, he is dead, his body is in the hospital.”
You want to share a story with us? You want to advertise? You need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp – +1 (317) 665-2180